As summer takes full swing and the kids are out of school, you may find yourself endlessly searching for ways to entertain your family. If you live in Temple – it won’t be hard. With plenty of summer camps, live music events, and a handful of family festivities, we’ve got a summer agenda to keep yourself and your kids busy this season.
Temple Parks – Hot Summer Sounds
Summer is back in Temple and so is the free concert series – Hot Summer Sounds. Presented by Baylor Scott and White Health, the series will take place on Friday evenings beginning on June 3rd. The concerts will be hosted at various parks in Temple, so be sure to bring a picnic blanket or lawn chairs and find a comfy spot to camp out for the show.
With a wide selection of genres, you’re bound to find a show the whole family will enjoy. The style of music ranges from the groovy rock n roll of Deja Vibes to the modern-traditional country music of Adam Berry Band, to the 80’s tributes performed by Hair Metal Giants.
Whether you make it a family event or bring your neighbors along, Hot Summer Sounds will brighten up your night while bringing you closer to the community.
Downtown Temple – First Friday
On the First Friday of every month, Temple brings the community together for late-night shopping, exclusive specials, and live music. This summer, Temple is kicking it off on June 3rd for a “fun-in-the-sun” themed First Friday. The following month, on July 1st, will be patriotic-themed in celebration of Independence Day.
Railroad & Heritage Museum
On Saturday, June 4th, head over to the Railroad & Heritage Museum, for “Beat the Heat Family Day”. Wear your best Hawaiian shirt and cool off from the scorching Texas heat with crafts and activities made for you and the kids.
If you’ve got a baseball lover, or a craft fanatic in your family, bring the kids out to All Star Family Day on July 3rd. With sports-themed crafts and “Pleibol in the Barrios and the Big League” on display, the whole family is bound to have a blast. “Pleibol in the Barrios and the Big League” is a bilingual baseball learning experience with 3D interactive models, an augmented reality feature, and engagement activities designed by education professionals.
Cultural Activities Center
The Cultural Activities Center (CAC) in Temple is a community-funded, not-for-profit art center created to enrich and inspire the lives of Central Texas residents. CAC wants young children to realize early on that they are capable of achieving their greatest artistic potential.
The CAC hosts various musical and theatrical performances. This summer, bring your kids along to Beauty and the Beast Jr. on Friday, June 24th for a hometown spin on this Disney Classic.
Or, visit the CAC on Saturday, July 16th as Junie B. Jones chronicles her first-grade adventures in her “top secret personal beeswax” journal.
They also host several summer camps for all ages. From a handful of art camps and musical sessions to the occasional mad science or poetry camp, there’s something to entertain, educate, and inspire every young mind.
Community of Temple – Summer Camps
In addition to the activities and events at the Cultural Activities Center, the Chamber of Commerce has listed an abundance of summer camps on their community calendar. You can relax knowing your children are learning, playing, and using their imagination – and you can enjoy some peace and quiet while they’re out of the house.
Some of the camps provided for younger children, ages 4-7, include:
- Camp Sea Explores (Ages 4-7) – Sea-themed arts and crafts, storytelling, and games will keep your little ocean explorer occupied at this summer camp.
- Camp TOT is Dino-Mite (Ages 4-7) – Basketball meets dinosaurs in this educational and physical activity program for young children. Through fun games and dinosaur-themed “brain-train” activities, your TOT will learn new skills at this summer camp.
- Cowboy camp (Ages 4-7) – Hats off to this cowboy-themed camp. Your child will learn country songs and dances in preparation for a Rodeo and Cowboy Cookout where they’ll perform the dances for friends and family members.
- Princess & Superhero Camp (Ages 4-7) – This camp is filled with arts and crafts, imagination, and fairy tale magic. Your child can travel to a land far, far away without leaving Temple!
For children ages 5-10, summer camps include:
- Flippin’ Fun Gymnastic Camp (Ages 5-10) – Designed for beginners, your child can learn the basic gymnastics movements in an exciting and approachable environment.
- Glam camp (Ages 5-10) – Designed to support self-awareness and self-acceptance in young girls, this glam camp will be spent identifying your daughter’s unique traits. Children in the camp will explore their creativity, expression, and the natural gifts they bring to the world.
- Cheer camp (Ages 5-10) – For beginner and intermediate cheerleaders, this cheer camp will teach foundational cheers, chants, and jumps! At the finale of the camp, the cheerleaders will perform a routine for their friends and family.
For the children who are a bit older, ages 7-14, some of the camps available include:
- Art Camp – (Ages 7-12) – Campers will learn about types of art and creative expression in this hands-on art program.
- Summer Drama Camp (Ages 8-12) – Your young one can act, sing, and dance at this all-encompassing drama camp. The program will teach improv, melodrama, comedy, and musical theater for a well-rounded and fun experience.
- Cooking camp (ages 8-12) – Your child can learn to cook everything from casseroles, to brunch, to desserts, to healthy eats. Campers will learn about cuisines from around the world and develop self-sufficient habits while strengthening their love and creativity for cooking.
- Black Rocket Tech Camp: Python Programmers – With two separate sessions for ages 8-10 and ages 11-14, your child can learn step-by-step programming in a fun and challenging environment. Returning students get to take on advanced projects, but even for the first timer, this camp is a great introduction to coding with Python.
To see more community events happening in Temple this Summer, refer to the calendar on the Temple Chamber of Commerce website.
Regardless of what your children are interested in, Temple has something to offer this summer. Between exhibitions on display at the Railroad & Heritage Museum and a wide selection of camps for all ages, your child can learn and have fun at the same time. The beat of culture is also strong with live musical and theatrical performances to entertain and inspire the whole family.
With all that Temple has to offer, we’ve only scratched the surface on how to keep your kids busy this summer. Visit our website to learn more about Temple’s family-friendly environment.